Monday, August 2, 2010

Meatless Monday - Fusilli with Eggplant and Basil Pesto

Day 22

I don't know about you, but I feel like all I do every weekend is eat my way through Friday, Saturday and Sunday - especially in the summer. Because of this weekend gorging, Hubby and I have adopted the Meatless Monday diet here at home. A little meat detox, if you will, for at least one day of the week.

Since I've been home I've become even more obsessed with the Food Network. Most of the shows really do make me feel empowered to cook wonderfully tasty food here at home. And I've been exposed to plenty of great recipes that are nutritious and filling enough to stand on their own, sans meat. For example, I'm totally obsessed with eggplant these days. And when am I not obsessed with pasta? Last week's Meatless Monday recipe combines both of these and another personal favorite - pesto.

Giada De Laurentiis's recipe for Trenette with Eggplant and Pesto seemed like a great way to kick off Meatless Mondays. I wasn't able to find trenette pasta at the store, but I was happy to settle with fusilli, a favorite of ours. The spiral shape would be perfect to hold in all the pesto flavor, and it was a great medium length, making it easy to eat with little fuss.

Overall, the recipe was very simple to execute. The pesto recipe was super easy to make - I will definitely use it in other applications and recipes. The eggplant came out perfectly, although I will maybe peel it next time. Personally, I prefer it without the skin. And the Parmesan added just the right amount of salt to the dish. This is the first time I've ever said "Buon appetito!" and not felt like a total sham.

My Grade: A- (only because I have chosen a way to improve the eggplant next time)
Hubby's Grade: A
Recipe: http://bit.ly/dwRZtD

No comments:

Post a Comment