Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The -RESS of the Story

Day 10

You may remember that a week ago, I posted "MATT- Where's the RESS?" about a botched furniture delivery. Yippee skippee, the remaining bed frame has arrived! Of course, it was not without a couple "sigh, are you kidding me?" moments.

Pleasant enough Delivery Man comes inside toting one small bed frame, carries it upstairs, and hands me a piece of paper to sign. Um, no. You're not leaving me with two mattress sets and bed frames in a box. Hello... that's what the delivery and set-up fee is for! Delivery Man plays along and starts setting up the beds.

"Wow, you're all alone today?" I asked.

"No," he mumbled... At least I think that's what he said.

"Oh, so there are other guys in the truck. Do you need them to come help you?" I asked. I was feeling a little bad for him.

Crickets. Delivery Man is in no mood to talk. I help him by piling up all the trash so I can ask him to take it with him on his way out. He was not very pleased with this either. Oh well. I gave him a nice tip I hope he doesn't share with the lazy men in the truck.

Reminds me a story Sister once told me after she and Brother-in-Law moved into their new home. It's a row house from the 1800s so it's very narrow, which means they had to do a lot of measuring to make sure modern appliances and furniture would make it up the stairwells. Anyway, Sister had a lot of difficulty with the delivery process and when her Delivery Guy finally arrived, he didn't seem too eager to carry up the new refrigerator.

Delivery Guy: "Doesn't look like it'll fit."

Sister: "It will, I promise. We measured and triple-checked to make sure."

Delivery Guy: "Lady, I'm not going to break my back carrying up this refrigerator."

Maybe it's just me, but when you're refrigerator delivery person, isn't that part of your job?

That, my friends, is the -RESS of the story. (Paul Harvey would be so proud.)




No comments:

Post a Comment