Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Challenge: Orchid


Day 2

Bless their hearts, my coworkers gave me a stunning orchid on my last day. Here's the thing. I have pretty much the opposite of a green thumb. Aside from some rogue weeds in the yard, the only vegetation I've ever managed to keep alive is a peace lily and, from what I hear, they're about as easy as you can get. (Also, I'm not too proud to admit that Hubby really drives watering that bad boy.)

Orchid is now about a week old and, as you can see, still looking lovely. My challenge is to keep it this way. Thank goodness for the internet. First stop: Google. Attention: Said plant does not have its own dot com. You've been forewarned as to what happens when you think you can skip the search and just type in the flower + dot com.

Anyway, I've found a lot of great tips and am looking forward to seeing this through. It will be one of my long-term projects that I look forward to updating you on along the way. Please feel free to share any tips with me!

Here's one for you. When I set out on Challenge: Orchid, I couldn't help but think of the old rhyme "Mary, Mary."

Mary, Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

I looked up the rhyme to make sure I had the words right and I couldn't believe all the conversation around its origins. Many believe it's about Bloody Mary, the daughter of King Henry VIII, and there are some very dark undertones. I prefer to think of it as a song for little children, and Bloody Mary as a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment