Monday, July 19, 2010

(Not) Just Another Summer Sunday

Day 8

There's just something about summer in New England. It's a feeling you can't get anywhere else in the country - and I grew up in the midwest and went to college on the west coast so I can say that from experience. Now, I'm not saying one is better than the other... I've just really come to love my new home.

Something else that's like no other is catching up with girlfriends while soaking up the sun. And that's just what I did yesterday, spending a few hours at the beach, mostly spent reading celebrity gossip magazines and encouraging each other to dunk into the freezing cold Atlantic (nothing beats salt water-infused beach hair!). Afterwards, we were off to grab a sandwich at the deli in the town center and then to the local ice cream stand for a twist cone - sprinkles optional (Yes, I say sprinkles. I told you, I'm from the midwest!).

Seriously, this is summer in New England!

If I could file just one complaint with anyone listening, can I ask what the heck is up with the flies at the beach? Greenheads, they're called here. I got several bites and they just seem to worsen by the hour. Man, do they itch! And one of my ankles is literally swollen from the ever-growing bite.

Still, I'll keep paying that price if it means girlfriends and twist cones on a steamy Sunday at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment