Friday, January 7, 2011

Big Game Food: Sausage, Peppers & Onions Stoup

Day 180

Stoup: noun \ stüp \ thicker than a soup, but not as thick as a stew

In the meantime, I realize it's been awhile since I wrote about the best foods to enjoy at home while watching the big game. Okay, okay... It's been awhile since I wrote about anything. Touché.

If you have a sports enthusiast in your family who is even half the fan Hubby is, you probably know the NFL playoffs start tomorrow. Our New England Patriots have the week off, but that doesn't mean the TV won't be turned to NFL RedZone for several... long... hours... I'm sure it will.

That said, you know I love a reason to cook up warm, hearty comfort food, and this recipe will help you win the title of Kitchen MVP.

The minute I saw Rachael Ray describe this stoup as a ballpark sausage-peppers-onions-in-a-bowl (the kind you get outside Fenway -- yep, she gave our hometown ballpark a nice shout-out), I could not wait to give it a try. I made the stoup as directed, with one exception: I upped the sausage to two pounds. Hey, if you're making something like this, why not really go for it? (I even managed to find the perfect hot sausage without those pesky caraway seeds. I can't stand those things. Blech!)

It... Was... Amazing. Seriously. So good. You really need to let the sausage get nice and browned before adding the vegetables. And the best part was deglazing the pan after everything had caramelized, bringing all that flavor back to life in the broth. The picture I'm showing you doesn't show the cheese topping, but don't fret -- I added it. It, too, was delicious.

My Grade: A
Hubby's Grade: A
Recipe: http://bit.ly/fDNik4

No comments:

Post a Comment