Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Day 145

Yes, it's one week later. But, see, I've been celebrating Thanksgiving for that long (meaning, I've been eating turkey, stuffing and potatoes for the past week). My first time as Thanksgiving hostess was a success. Whew!

A quick round-up of all the things for which I am thankful:

* Mom graciously passing on her china and crystal, which she spent forever wrapping piece by piece for the big shipment up the eastern seaboard.

* Mom setting the table and making it a lovely canvas for the festive meal.

* Sister for halving about 300 brussels sprouts.

* G'ma (that's grandma in my family) helping Hubby get the turkey ready for the oven.

* Hubby for doing a stellar job his first time carving the bird.

* My mother-in-law for bringing some delicious appetizers for the day. It's not Thanksgiving unless you completely gorge yourself.

* All my guests for not freaking out when smoke started to billow from the oven. Don't worry - it wasn't the turkey, but rather a grease pile on the bottom I'd neglected to clean up from Thanksgiving Eve's pizza night.

Since it was my first go at this, there are definitely some lessons learned. Sister and Brother-in-law always have a starter course (soup or salad) because they like to extend the meal. I think it's a good idea because by the time I sat down to eat, I felt like the meal was already over. Place-cards. Sounds silly, but it would save a lot of discussion when it comes time to eat and everyone is asking where to sit.

All in all, I was pleased with the day, and hope my guests were, too. Now, on to Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment