Monday, September 27, 2010

Meatless Monday - That's Shallota Flavor Spaghetti

Day 78

If you had to pick one thing Rachael Ray is known for, it could be her clever little nicknames for things (EVOO, YUM-O, Delish! etc.) around the kitchen. I've long been a fan of her Food Network show, but until recently haven't ever really considered making anything... Until I saw her make "That's Shalotta Flavor Spaghetti," a dish she said tasted like warm focaccia-in-a-bowl.

I'm a fan of pretty much any kind of fresh bread, but there's not much that beats focaccia, with its caramelized onions and bursts of fresh herb flavors combining to create a little slice of heaven. If you want to enjoy those flavors as a meal, might I suggest this dish.

What I like about Rachael's recipes is that, on top of being super easy to make, they typically call for common ingredients easily found in most grocery stores. She also does a great job of recommending different uses for fresh herbs. I haven't used parsley in a meal for a while, and was reminded of just how much flavor it packs into each bite. If I had to make any changes next time, I would spend more time caramelizing the shallots to get a warmer, more hearty flavor from them to better balance the fresh parsley.

In terms of prep, the only difficulty I had was making it through slicing all ten shallots without breaking out into full sobs. Admittedly, I had to stop a few times to let my eyes breathe, and when I was done I had no idea what Hubby meant when he asked what the heck happened to my face. Here's a little tip from me to you: You may want to wear waterproof mascara when prepping this meal.

My Grade: A-
Hubby's Grade: A-
Recipe: http://bit.ly/aYctsg

No comments:

Post a Comment